If you’re heading to Tredethick Farm Cottages, in this beautiful corner of Cornwall, at this time of year, here are six ideas for memorable family days
1. Pasties, Porthcothan and Padstow: Grab pasties, freshly made at Fran’s Pantry in nearby Lostwithiel, chuck your body boards in the car and head to Porthcothan beach, on the North Cornish coats, for fine golden sand and very, very few people. Believe me, with this mid-week experience, Cornwall captured my heart!
Distance from Tredethick Farm Cottages: 45 minutes driving.
2. Spot a dolphin, seal and even a shark and get crabing: Take the Mevagissey to Fowey ferry, a 35 minute trip. Both Mevagissey and Fowey have beautiful harbours and moochable towns. You’ve a chance of seeing basking sharks (which are spotted around Cornwall between May and October) as well as dolphins and seals. There’s terrific crabbing in Fowey too. Top tip: bait your crab net with bacon.
Distance from Tredethick Farm Cottages – A 35 minutes drive.
3. Ahoy sailor! The National Maritime Museum in Falmouth is a brilliant, interactive space for children with model boats to sail and jet skis and lifeboats to clamber on. This summer they have exhibitions on Captain Bligh (a Cornishman of Mutiny on the Bounty fame) and Tattoos. I can hear al the ‘why…?’ questions already. Follow it with Rick Stein’s fish and chips and a hokey pokey ice cream at the stunning Pendennis Point. From here you can see St Mawes and Pendennis castles and enjoy the picturesque sailing boats in the harbour.
Distance from Tredethick Farm Cottages: 1 hr and 10 minutes driving.
4. Slide down the golden sands at Crantock Bay, near Newquay: They are steep and SO fun. Get sculpting with that sand and make the biggest sandcastle possible. Wash all the sand off in some crashing north coast waves.
Distance from Tredethick Farm Cottages – A 45 minutes drive.
5. The Royal Cornwall Show: The Cornish take their county show VERY seriously. It’s a must-see event, on from 8 – 10 June 2017, with sheep herding, show jumping, farbreeds, a fun fair, crafts, live music and street theatre, a scarecrow trail, warm
doughnuts and oodles more.
Distance from Tredethick Farm Cottages: A half hour’s drive.
6. Discover the beauty on your doorstep: Meander along Tredethick’s farm trail, spotting the amazing flora and fauna on the farm (southern marsh orchids, violets, jays, bullfinches, buzzards and much more). Dare I say, we also spot adders here sometimes! Arrive at St Winnow for a homemade lolly or ice cream at Tex-Mex Maid, while you gaze out at the Fowey estuary. The farm trail and woodland playscape around is around 2 miles, perfect for little legs!
Tredethick Farm Cottages in Lostwithiel, Cornwall, has eight luxury cottages with everything you need for families with young children. Mini farmers are invited to help with our daily animal feeding and to enjoy the indoor swimming pool, indoor soft play barn as well as all the fun play equipment inside and out. Situated in the heart of the beautiful Fowey valley, Tredethick is the perfect stepping stone for the beaches and many attractions of Cornwall.